yeah, you included.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Limbo into Limboade


I cannot let this limbo break me.

I woke up this morning and began to watch the documentary "Grey Gardens." It's about Jackie O's crazy aunt and cousin who live with 8 scrawny cats at a run-down and unkept Southampton estate and constantly lament the past, blaming each other for never getting aywhere. At least that's what was happening until I got up and went to Duane Reade for posterboard and markers.

The situation with my mom makes it very hard for me think about my long-term goals. My goals are finally clear. I have been thinking about going back to school. Because of my mom's fragile health, I can't start school any time soon. I need to go back and forth between NY and Altanta, so finding a temp job where I can work for 3 weeks at a time might be nearly impossible. If anyone has any ideas on the subject, I'd love to hear them.

Back to the posterboard and markers. On the plane to NY from Altanta last week, after I had spent a week with my parents, I decided that I need to start filling these limbo days with as many fulflling experiences as possible, both in Altanta and in NY. So, I'm making a calendar. I'm also devising some rules for myself, to avoid complacency-enabling predicaments.

The rules are:

NO TV.
NO Web-Surfing unless calendar related.
No knitting unless in transit.
Each evening before, or morning of, I will post the day's calendar on this blog. I will either report back with detailed accounts of my adventures or document the fact that I did follow the calendar for the day -- like a log.

I am currently making the calendar on posterboard that I will hang in my room. Using Time Out and other publications, along with emailed events lists, I will fill my days with music, art, fun, etc. . .

Experincing as much as possible will be my job during the holidays.

Please join me! If you are interested in coming along, just send me an email and let me know.

P.S. - I just switched to the Google Beta version of Blogger. This apparently unlocked a slue (sp?) of comments left as far back as September that I had not approved. All of those comments are now posted, and I am so appreciative of every one of your positive thoughts. I'm kinda pissed at blogger for not letting me know about these comments. I thought nobody gave a crap! Thank you all for giving a crap.Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

i'm right there in limbo-land with ya. i do a week and a half here, and then sat-tues in va...except for cases like surgery etc, and have been for 5 months now (well, the beginning was 3 straight weeks there). i'm pretty damn lucky because both my stupid day jobs are flexible, and i'm a perma-temp (for auditioning purposes that can't even be these days). you can do a week to week or day to day temp assignments...they do need short term a lot of the time. good for you for getting out there and squeezing the most you can from each day..i totally need to learn from your example and stop citing exhaustion as an excuse.

November 13, 2006 7:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it. What's wrong with TV?

Just kidding, because really why NO KNITTING? You are the best knitter EVA!!! Ham made 4eva.

November 15, 2006 10:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home