yeah, you included.

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Ham-burger-maker

lived in Dallas almost four years before I heard about Roses.
Don't be silly, Roses Sandwich shop.
It's a secret hamburger place.
It's on Upper Greenville Avenue and when you drive by it all you see is a run-down little yellow house. On the porch, above the door of that little yellow house is a little red sign (maybe 12" by 6") that says "Roses."
To get there, you must drive around the back onto a dirt road and park in the yard or on the gravel.
If and only if the dog is outside the house, is Roses open for business.
You enter through the screen door in the back, and walk through a dimly lit hallway into a room where it seems as if someone else's family is eating hamburgers in their house. From there, you walk into the kitchen where Rose or her sister have neatly printed the menu and the prices using Sharpie marker on a slab of cardboard. Your choices are hamburger or cheeseburger.
After you tell Rose or her sister which you would like and how you would like it cooked, you move to the dining area.
The dining area is full of baskets of packaged chips and cookies and refrigerators full of sodas and sweet tea.
You are on the honor system about what you take, you pay as you leave.
The ambiance is homely and at the same time mystifying.
I felt as if I was eating in the Jolly Roger Women's auxiliary thrift store.
Rose and her sister have been at it since 1940!
The burgers taste magnificent and all the better to taste because they are secret hamburgers.

NYC has a secret hamburger place, too.
Boy, do I wish I could tell you where it is.
Unfortunately, the photograph that I took there was confiscated from my camera, so I have done my best rendering of't using my ol'reliable favorite medium, Paint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home