yeah, you included.

Thursday, September 16, 2004

LIRR Railroad Excursion - Port Jefferson

I used to walk around and explore Manhattan endlessly. After Manhattan, Brooklyn, then Queens. Now, I’m all about Long Island and this is exciting because Long Island is huge.

I’m glad that I am a woman for every reason except that I often feel vulnerable when traveling alone. This doesn’t stop me from traveling alone – it is my favorite pastime. If only I could hitchhike . . .

There are uninteresting parts of Manhattan; the garment district, Port Authority Bus Terminal, tenth avenue in midtown. Rather than character, these places have characters. I could study these characters, but most of them depress and/or threaten me.



I felt the same way about Port Jefferson. There was a Club Ba-Da-Bing, a hospital with a nice sculpture garden, Tattoo shops, and Harleys. And, along with these interesting environments came the Creepies. There were three dour-faced men who stood at the bus stop and stared at people but forgot to board the bus. I don’t remember seeing a female in Port Jefferson.

Also, never again will I answer my cell phone on an adventure. I answered the phone in Port Jefferson, and I answered it hard. Two painful hours later, I hung up and went home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home